The Volta Region Community Water and Sanitation Agency is one of the main Departments of Community Water and Sanitation Agency (CWSA), which is responsible for the facilitation of the provision of Water and Sanitation facilities and their related activities in the Volta Region of Ghana.
VRCWSA started as Volta Region Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Programme (VRWSSP) in 1993. VRWSSP was later brought under the National Community Water & Sanitation Programme, which was lunched in 1994.
Prior to the Programme inception in 1993 there existed about 1200 boreholes drilled by various organizations. Notably among them is the KfW sponsored programe in the 1980s (3000-Wells), World Vision International, UNICEF, VORDEP, Catholic Church and the EP Church. Most of these boreholes were fitted with India Mark II hand pumps and have now been converted to Community Management and the Mark II hand pumps have been changed to either Nira or Ghana Modified India Mark II hand pumps. GWCL has also transferred some of its facilities to some small towns for community ownership and management (COM).
The Region’s Programmes is funded mainly by the Danish government through DANIDA. GOG provides counterpart funding and other donors such as the German government through GTZ/KfW have also provided funding for some facilities.
Other organizations like KFW/GTZ, Rotary International, DFID, EP Church, Roman Catholic, HUPREF, World Vision, APDO, EU and Church of Christ have contributed significantly to the provision of water facilities to the rural communities and small towns of the region.
Phase I of the DANIDA funded program started in 1993 and ended in August 1997. The second part of Phase I started in September 1997 and ended in December 2003. Phase II which is referred to as the District Based Water and Sanitation Component started in January 2004 and would end in December 2008.
The Agency is facilitating the implementation of water and sanitation related activities in all the 15 Districts of the Region. The districts are;
- Krachi East
- Krachi West
- North Tongu
- South Dayi
- South Tongu
Vision of Region
The Volta Region Community Water and Sanitation Agency aspires to be highly effective and professional in the discharge of its responsibilities by working harmoniously with the District Assemblies and other development partners to deliver sustainable potable water and improved sanitation services to all rural communities and small towns in the Volta Region.
The Volta Region Community Water and Sanitation Agency is committed to facilitating the provision of easily accessible potable water, improved sanitation, health and hygiene promotion, monitoring of operation and maintenance to rural communities and small towns through capacity building, quality assurance and effective participation of other stakeholders on a sustainable basis.
- Provide basic water and improved sanitation services to communities that would contribute towards capital cost and pay normal operations, maintenance and repair costs of their facilities.
- Ensure sustainability of the facilities through community ownership and management (COM).
- Maximize health benefits by integrating water, sanitation and hygiene promotion interventions
- To facilitate the provision of potable water and the delivery of sanitation facilities in a cost effective manner to small towns and rural communities in the region.
- To harmonize with stakeholders at District and Regional Levels the policy and guidelines for implementation of Water and Sanitation services.
- To strengthen the capacity of sector collaborators (RWST, DAs, POs, Consultants) to be able to provide quality service.
- To improve and sustain health and hygiene practices in the target communities and institutions.
- To ensure gender balance in all the planning and implementation aspects of Water and Sanitation delivery.
- To strengthen the Monitoring of Operation and Maintenance system of water and sanitation facilities in the region.
- To provide and maintain reliable information system for accurate and timely information for management, planning and progress reporting of water and sanitation activities in the region
- To improve the efficiency & effectiveness of VRCWSA internal operations involving every sector of VRCWSA MGT.