....... As Stipulated in ACT 564
The functions of the agency are to:
- Provide technical support to District Assemblies to:
Promote the sustainability of safe water supply and related sanitation services in rural communities and small towns;
Enable the Assemblies encourage the active involvement of communities, especially woman, in the design, planning, construction and community management of water and sanitation projects.
- Formulate strategies for the effective mobilization of resolution for the execution of safe water development and related sanitation programmes.
- Encourage private sector participation in the provision of safe drinking water supply and related sanitation service
- Provide District Assembly with technical assistance in the execution of water development and sanitation in the districts
- Planning and execution of water development and sanitation in the districts
- Assist and coordinate Nongovernmental Organisations (NGOs) engaged in the development of water, sanitation and hygiene education in rural communities and small towns
- Initiate and pursue in collaboration with the Ministries of Local Government, Health, Education and Non-Formal Education programmes for public awareness in rural communities and small towns of water related hazards
- Prescribe standards and guidelines for safe water supply and provision of related sanitation services in rural communities and small tows and support the District Assemblies to ensure compliance by the suppliers of these services
- Charge reasonable fees for services provided
- Collaborate with such international agencies as the Agency considers necessary in the execution of its mandate
- Perform any other functions assigned to it by Act 564.